J-1 Visa Application Process
Step 1: Registration
- Please register for our J1-Visa Program by filling out our registration form and uploading your resume in English.
After 3-5 business days, you and your host company should receive a registration confirmation via email, which contains all the necessary information for each party.
Please note that steps 1 and 2 are two individual steps, and we do not accept complete application documents (step 2) if you have not first registered yourself and received a confirmation.
In case you are already in contact with a GACC Career Services representative and you have received our confirmation email, please skip Step 1 and continue with Step 2.
Step 2: Complete and send application forms
- Various forms are required from you.
In order to simplify the process, we have created a checklist. Please note that the complete application must be submitted in one to three PDF documents at most.
Your contact person at the GACC will notify you if your application is acceptable, complete and correct. Please note that corrected or missing documents should be submitted as soon as possible so as not to delay the application process.
Important advice for completing the J-1 visa application form can be found here.
Step 3: Complete a short telephone interview and pay GACC fees
- Each applicant must complete a short telephone interview. Please be in touch with your contact person at the GACC Career Services for more information about the telephone interview.
If you do not have current proof of your English language skills, a short English test can also be conducted as part of the telephone interview.
Step 4: Confirmation of completed application
- Once we have received all completed documents from you and your host company, the mandatory telephone interview has been conducted, and we have received proof of payment for your J-1 visa application fees, your application will be considered complete, and we will begin processing your application. As of this point you should estimate a processing time of about 8 weeks.
Step 5: We will send out the DS-2019 and provide you with your SEVIS Number
- After your completed application has been approved, your data has been entered into the SEVIS database, and your SEVIS number has been generated, we will issue your DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility and send it to you via Fedex.
At that point you will also receive your SEVIS number immediately via email. Your DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility and DS-7002 form will be sent to you via FEDEX to the address you provided us.
Step 6: Complete the application forms for the U.S. Consulate
- Please stay informed here regarding what documents you need to complete and submit for your appointment at the U.S. Consulate.
Step 7: Fill out the form DS-160 for the U.S. Consulate
- Please fill out the form DS-160 for your appointment at the U.S. Consulate and print out the confirmation page at the end.
Step 8: Pay the U.S. Consulate and SEVIS fees
- In addition to the GACC fees, you will have to pay some additional fees for your J-1 visa.
Please pay the following fees:
- The U.S. Consulate fee - please check your home country's
U.S. Consulate website;
- The SEVIS fee of about $ 180 must be paid through the
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement;
- Bring proof of payments to your U.S. Consulate appointment.
Step 9: Make an appointment at the U.S. Consulate
- After you paid the SEVIS and the U.S. Consulate fees you should make an appointment at a U.S. Consulate located in your home country.
Step 9: Submit your application on your appointment day
- On the day of your appointment, submit your complete visa application at the U.S. Consulate.
These documents include but are not limited to:
- DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility
- Form DS-7002 (training plan)
- Confirmation page of the online application form DS-160
- Proof of payment of the U.S. Consulate fee
- Proof of payment of the SEVIS fee
- Self-addressed envelope
- passport photo
Step 11: Receive your passport and visa by mail
- After your visa appointment at the U.S. Consulate, it should take about 5-7 business days to receive your passport back with your J-1 visa, the DS-2019 and the DS-7002 inside.
Step 12: Entry into the USA
- After your arrival in the U.S., you should send us your check-in form with your U.S. address and scans of your J-1 visa, DS-2019 form and an online printout of your I-94 number via email.
You may enter the United States no earlier than 30 days before the start your internship. Your visa will be activated upon entry into the United States. As a visa-holder, you do not need ESTA registration. Please show your DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility and your passport with the J-1 visa to the immigration officer. The officer will ask you briefly about your internship, will record your fingerprints, and will take a photograph of you. Important: The officer will neither keep your passport including your J-1 visa nor the DS-2019. Please take these documents with you when you leave the airport. As stated, after your arrival, you should send us your check-in form as soon as possible with your address and scans of your J-1 visa, your DS-2019 and an online printout of your I-94 number via email. You can print out your I-94 Number here. You will find the check-in form in the Candidate Letter as well as in our download section.
IMPORTANT: Your current U.S. home address must be kept up-to-date, so please inform us if you are moving.
Welcome to the USA!